Friday, April 4, 2014

The Trees...

Tuesday, March 25th started off beautifully.  Lots of Colorado sunshine and the temperature was expected to get up to 47 so an all around beautiful Colorado day.  Todd and I started the morning with a blue groomer (Intermediate level) to warm up our legs and then decided to move on to the back bowls (more/most advanced).  The day "was" going great and I "was" just beginning to enjoy skiing in the trees.  As Todd says, trees define the trails, provide shelter from the wind, they are wonderful things of beauty and sometimes they are even fun to ski through.  And he "claims" that skiing in the trees forces you to improve your turns.  Uh-huh, sure.  On some occasions though, trees prove their strength as immovable objects, and of course are stronger than the human body (something Todd's brother Don and many others know all too well).

Well, after skiing Spaulding Bowl at Copper Mountain, we were led into Spaulding Glades (a.k.a. trees).  All was going well until we ended up going down a long and steep descent with a drop-off to our right and heavy trees to the left.  I began picking up a lot of speed and started to become nervous so I was looking for an opening for me to turn uphill to burn some speed.  Luckily, I found an opening.  However, I severely underestimated the available space to be able to complete what I had intended.  I turned into the small opening on the left, but there was not enough room and my left ski went to the left of the tree while my right ski went directly into the tree.  My right shin took the bulk of the impact.  While Todd was already down the run, fortunately a few good Samaritans stopped to offer me assistance.   I tried walking down the run a few feet but the pain was too unbearable and I was getting dizzy so skiing down the rest of the run was not going to be an option.  Todd hiked back up to me and Ski Patrol was on their way.

The Ski Patrol did their initial assessment making sure it was safe to transport me and strapped me into the sled.  All I could think about was the mono-wheel stretcher on Mt. Kilimanjaro and how much I did not want to relive that experience:


Due to our location on the mountain, not only did I have to come down the mountain, but I also had the rare experience of being strapped to the back of a chairlift to go back up the mountain so that I could then come down the middle of the mountain to the Center Village:


Once down to Center Village, I was then loaded into the back of a box truck for transport to the on-mountain Medical Center:


Once at the Medical Center, the incredibly nice staff checked out my injury, took x-rays and after some debate, determined that no bones were broken and no ligaments were detached (great news!). The final verdict was that I had some nasty scrapes and some significant pain, but only required Advil and rest to recover.  Although, I have to admit that after all of that work to get me down the mountain and all of the pain that I endured, I was disappointed that the end result was nothing more than a couple of scrapes, bruises, and some pain.





After a day of rest, I was out and about (albeit with a slight limp) and by Friday I was back on the slopes and working out at the athletic club.  Lessons learned though....1. next time I will be sure to pick up that heads up penny that I saw in Center Village before hitting the slopes and 2. trees are more stubborn than I am.

 
 
 
 
 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good grief, what drama! Glad to see you ended up okay.

Shonah and Todd said...

Thanks Jeni. I am amazed at how great Copper's Ski Patrol was throughout the entire "ordeal". Shoney had to go through a lot of work to get me "up" and then eventually down the mountain to receive medical care. Although I would not want to go thru something like that again, I would be at ease in their care if the need ever arises again. And I am pleased to report that the leg is pretty much back at 100% with only a minor scar and bump remaining. Thanks again for the note and if you get a chance, send an e-mail with an update on the family. Shonah